On Wednesday, October 10/23, 2013, the Holy Synod of the Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece convened in a regular session in the hall of the church “The Unfading Rose” in Piraeus. All the hierarchs in Greece were present save their Eminences Metropolitans Akakios of Attica & Diauleia, Maximos of Thessalonica and Demetrias and Justin of Euripus & Euboea who were ill.
The presence of His Eminence Metropolitan Pavlos of America was touching, after a many-year absence due to health issues.
The Holy Synod discussed the following items on the agenda.
1. It was informed by His Grace, Bishop Photios of Marathon concerning those things which occurred during his recent visit to Australia.
2. It discussed the issue of the pseudo-saints of the Ecumenists and the danger of the deception of the faithful from the Ecumenists’ systematic propaganda. The Holy Synod decided to publish a special informative announcement in the form of an encyclical.
3. The progress of the dialogue of the Church of the G.O.C. with the Orthodox Ecclesiastical Community of Those in Resistance was discussed as well as the discussion with the Romanian hierarchs under Metropolitan Vlasie.
4. The problems of the pastorate of the Holy Metropolis of America were discussed. His Eminence, Metropolitan Pavlos of America, plagued by illness due to a stroke he suffered eight years ago, stated once again his inability to exercise his pastoral responsibilities smoothly. He asked that his resignation be accepted from the throne of the Metropolis. After discussion, the Holy Synod accepted the request, but it asked His Eminence to continue exercising his pastoral duties until a Locum Tenens is appointed at the next Synod meeting.
5. Matters of ecclesiastical justice were discussed, for clarification and interpretation of certain procedural details.
Translated from the Greek
A Synodal Gathering of the Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece at the Port Authority of Piræus
Keynote Presentation on the Sunday of Orthodoxy: February 16/March 1, 2015 by His Grace, Bishop Klemes of Gardikion, Secretary of the Holy Synod
Jonesboro is a town located near the Eastern border of Arkansas, with a population of approximately 60,000. From a human standpoint, it’s not the most likely candidate for a traditional Orthodox mission, but for an Orthodox Christian who orders his priorities around Christ and His Church, it makes perfect sense. Read more...
October 12-14, 2018
Cathedral of Saint Nektarios
1223 Dovercourt Road
Toronto, Ontario, M6H 2Y1
An Orthodox Christian Worldview
Q. There seems to be a lot of variation in how people observe fasting, but my confessor told me to fast from oil on Wednesday and Friday. Oil is a pretty vague category, though, and I was wondering if I could get a more explicit description of what kinds of food and drink are excluded on strict fast days. Read more...