22-68 26th Street
Astoria, New York 11105
The Cathedral of St. Markella was established by the ever-memorable Metropolitan Petros of Astoria in 1954, to serve the pious Orthodox Christians in the area who remained loyal to the Patristic "Old" Calendar. Since that time, it has become the Cathedral parish of the Holy Metropolis of the G.O.C. of America, whose current bishop is His Eminence, Metropolitan Demetrius.
In the early 20th century, the idea of promoting the union of Churches (Orthodox and heterodox) began to gain ground among circles in the Eastern Orthodox Church by establishing a "Communion of Churches" modeled on the League of Nations.
The Patriarchal Encyclical of 1920 foresaw a series of steps toward the “union of the Churches,” of which the first was the change of the calendar for the simultaneous celebration of feast days by all the “Churches.” The content of the encyclical was kept secret from the faithful and only after a few years became known. Read more...
Saints Peter and Paul Orthodox Church in Tucson, AZ, is a beautiful mission parish near downtown Tucson, a city in southern Arizona. It was started in 1997 by Father John Bockman, who was a missionary priest formerly serving missions in Tennessee and Massachusetts since 1990. Read more...