Photos - Historical

Photos from the historical archives of the Church of the GOC.

Visit of ROCOR Bishops to the Cathedral ...
Letter Announcing Election of St. Philar...
fr_artemios_imprisoned
fr_artemios_imprisoned
Detail
arch_leonty_chile
arch_leonty_chile
Detail
SaintJohnBishopPetros
SaintJohnBishopPetros
Detail
saint_philaret_goc_bishops
saint_philaret_goc_bishops
Detail
st-john-maximovitch
st-john-maximovitch
Detail
 
 
Powered by Phoca Gallery
Orthodox Awareness

A Brief History

In the early 20th century, the idea of promoting the union of Churches (Orthodox and heterodox) began to gain ground among circles in the Eastern Orthodox Church by establishing a "Communion of Churches" modeled on the League of Nations.

The Patriarchal Encyclical of 1920 foresaw a series of steps toward the “union of the Churches,” of which the first was the change of the calendar for the simultaneous celebration of feast days by all the “Churches.” The content of the encyclical was kept secret from the faithful and only after a few years became known. Read more...

Missions

Saint John of Kronstadt - Bunnell, Florida

St. John of Kronstadt Orthodox Church began as a mission parish in the year 2000, in a home chapel in Palm Coast, FL – a small town on Florida’s northeast coast located between St. Augustine and Daytona Beach. After two years, it became necessary to have services in area community centers, rented for Sundays and other Holy Days. Read more...