On Wednesday February 6/19, 2014, the Feast of our Father among the Saints, Photios the Great Archbishop of Constantinople, The Holy Synod of the Hierarchy of the Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece convened in a regular session in the Church of “The Unfading Rose” in Piraeus. After the celebration of the Divine Liturgy by His Grace, Bishop Photios of Marathon, who celebrated his Name’s Day, they Holy Synod of the Hierarchy examined the following items on the agenda:
1. The Synod proceeded with the election of a new Metropolitan to succeed Metropolitan Pavlos of America, emeritus who has retired. His Grace, Bishop Demetrius of Boston was elected. A relevant encyclical will follow.
2. The petition of his Grace, Bishop Ambrose of Philippi, and with him of Archimandrite Ignatius Sophianides to accede to the canonical Church of the G.O.C. was accepted. According to the decision of the Holy Synod, His Grace decided to be accepted through canonical order, he will bear the title of the Bishop of Philippi with the borders of his canonical jurisdiction being the municipality of Drama with the seat being the city of Drama.
3. The abolition of the school holiday of December 25th/ January 7th (n.s.) was discussed and the steps taken toward the political leaders which we will take were decided upon.
4. The path of the dialogue with the Orthodox Ecclesiastical Community in Resistance, which is proceeding positively, was discussed.
5. The appeal of a certain Presbyter for a judgment of second instance was accepted. A court date will be set by the responsible attendant of the Synodal Court.
6. Letters of Ecclesiastical Councils towards the Synod were discussed.
Translated from the Greek
The “Father of Fathers, the Thirteenth Apostle and the Judge of the World (as his pheme states), Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria, Theodore sent a message to the Muslims of Egypt upon the feast of Ramadan. It is as follows:
“The most sacred month of the Islamic calendar, the chief month of personal worship and great awareness of the Divine for every faithful Muslim ends today with the festive, joyous season of Eid al-Fitr. Read more...
Saints Peter and Paul Orthodox Church in Tucson, AZ, is a beautiful mission parish near downtown Tucson, a city in southern Arizona. It was started in 1997 by Father John Bockman, who was a missionary priest formerly serving missions in Tennessee and Massachusetts since 1990. Read more...
October 12-14, 2018
Cathedral of Saint Nektarios
1223 Dovercourt Road
Toronto, Ontario, M6H 2Y1
An Orthodox Christian Worldview
Q. Are the prayers in the blue prayer book [A Prayerbook for Orthodox Christians by the Holy Transfiguration Monastery —ed.] compulsory for everyone? I mean their morning prayers and the service of Small Compline. My confessor gave me a special rule but wasn’t clear about whether this replaced the book prayers or was in addition to them. Read more...