On Wednesday February 6/19, 2014, the Feast of our Father among the Saints, Photios the Great Archbishop of Constantinople, The Holy Synod of the Hierarchy of the Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece convened in a regular session in the Church of “The Unfading Rose” in Piraeus. After the celebration of the Divine Liturgy by His Grace, Bishop Photios of Marathon, who celebrated his Name’s Day, they Holy Synod of the Hierarchy examined the following items on the agenda:
1. The Synod proceeded with the election of a new Metropolitan to succeed Metropolitan Pavlos of America, emeritus who has retired. His Grace, Bishop Demetrius of Boston was elected. A relevant encyclical will follow.
2. The petition of his Grace, Bishop Ambrose of Philippi, and with him of Archimandrite Ignatius Sophianides to accede to the canonical Church of the G.O.C. was accepted. According to the decision of the Holy Synod, His Grace decided to be accepted through canonical order, he will bear the title of the Bishop of Philippi with the borders of his canonical jurisdiction being the municipality of Drama with the seat being the city of Drama.
3. The abolition of the school holiday of December 25th/ January 7th (n.s.) was discussed and the steps taken toward the political leaders which we will take were decided upon.
4. The path of the dialogue with the Orthodox Ecclesiastical Community in Resistance, which is proceeding positively, was discussed.
5. The appeal of a certain Presbyter for a judgment of second instance was accepted. A court date will be set by the responsible attendant of the Synodal Court.
6. Letters of Ecclesiastical Councils towards the Synod were discussed.
Translated from the Greek
A Rejoinder to Fr. Basil Gregoriates and an Apology for Breaking Communion with Ecumenist Bishops
In every age the devil tempts the faithful by various means: persecutions, foreign invasions, the lure of worldly seduction. Among his most effective snares are heresy and schism which, by separating Christians from the Church, lead them away from Christ and into spiritual deception and apostasy. Read more...
Saints Peter and Paul Orthodox Church is a beautiful mission parish near downtown Tucson, a city in southern Arizona. It was started in 1997 by Father John Bockman, who was a missionary Priest formerly serving missions in Tennessee and Massachusetts since 1990. Father John served the faithful in Tucson and the surrounding area in his home Chapel until his repose in November of 2000. His wife, Presbytera Valerie, continued to make her home Chapel available for the mission, with clergy from Saint Nectarios Orthodox Church in Seattle and His Eminence, Metropolitan Moses of Toronto (then of Portland), visiting to provide the Divine Services.Read more...
Q. There seems to be a lot of variation in how people observe fasting, but my confessor told me to fast from oil on Wednesday and Friday. Oil is a pretty vague category, though, and I was wondering if I could get a more explicit description of what kinds of food and drink are excluded on strict fast days. Read more...