On Friday, May 30/June 12, 2015, the Holy Eparchial Synod in America of the Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece convened in a regular session at the Holy Ascension Monastery in Bearsville, NY.
The following hierarchs were present: His Eminence, Metropolitan Demetrius of America, President of the Synod, His Eminence, Metropolitan Moses of Toronto, and Their Graces, Bishops Photios of Marathon (via telephone), Auxentios of Etna and Portland, and Christodoulos of Theoupolis.
The Holy Eparchial Synod discussed and decided upon the following items:
1. A petition to establish a specific day to honor those who serve in the parishes.
2. A report by His Grace, Bishop Photios of Marathon on current events from our Holy Synod in Greece. The Eparchial Synod expressed certain opinions which will be conveyed to the Holy Synod in Greece through His Grace, Bishop Photios at its next meeting.
3. The petitions of certain clergymen for reception by the Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians.
4. A report concerning the recent trend in the U.S.A. and Canada toward the legal recognition of homosexual marriage. Our Church’s response to this was discussed.
5. A petition to convene a Spiritual Court.
Why do we follow the Old Orthodox Calendar?
a Because based on it, the First Ecumenical Council established the Paschal Canon and appointed that the feast of Holy Pascha may fall anywhere from March 22nd until April 25th, while with the New (Papal) Calendar it can fall as late at May 8th.
b The Gregorian (Papal) Calendar has been condemned by three Pan-Orthodox Councils under Patriarch Jeremiah Tranos (1583, 1587, 1589) Read more...
Saints Peter and Paul Orthodox Church is a beautiful mission parish near downtown Tucson, a city in southern Arizona. It was started in 1997 by Father John Bockman, who was a missionary Priest formerly serving missions in Tennessee and Massachusetts since 1990. Father John served the faithful in Tucson and the surrounding area in his home Chapel until his repose in November of 2000. His wife, Presbytera Valerie, continued to make her home Chapel available for the mission, with clergy from Saint Nectarios Orthodox Church in Seattle and His Eminence, Metropolitan Moses of Toronto (then of Portland), visiting to provide the Divine Services.Read more...